Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sasha's Not So Fierce (Sorry, Bey)

Okay. I tried. I really tried!! I went to the store with every intention of purchasing the CD (I Am...Sasha Fierce). But after sampling the songs, I did not find it to be worth its price of twenty dollars (Wtcrap?!). I was very eager to discover Sasha's ferocity but I was just not impressed. I talk like this 'cause I can back it up....I got a big ego?....Maybe. Maybe not. Although I do admit to liking the songs, Ego & Hello, most of the record's content is empty.
Maybe I'm just sick of her tom foolery but there's something lacking. I think it's called authenticity. I can't help feeling like I've seen this somewhere before. Maybe if we go back far enough into the history of music and performance we'll find the template from which she "creates" these ideas. I don't mean to be hard on her because she is talented and all but she's far from original and maybe this is the reason for my frustration.
It all seems so calculated. I wonder what she does when she thinks no one's looking. Does she ever drop her guard. We've been fed this image of R & B/Pop Queen Bey. Now all of a sudden this Sasha character emerges? I realize that time changes things and people grow but there seems to be no connection between the two and that bothers me.
Who is Beyonce'? Does she just give the people what they want, collect the checks, and go home? Does she really expect us to digest this "alter-ego?" Maybe I'm just a cynical skeptic but I'm having a hard time swallowing this.
She says she wants to go from pop artist to icon but neither of these things can be forced. If you are meant to be an icon, you will be. Don't over analyze everything. I almost feel insulted. Her camp puts out these statements as if we (the general public) are supposed to be so foolish as to take them at face value. There is a underlying motive. I'm so very over the subliminal messages. My eyes and ears are open.

I know I must sound like the world's most paranoid conspiracy theorist but these are just my thoughts. They are not law. And as I wrap this up, I'd like to apologize to all the fans that are steaming mad at me right now. (Sorry!) I just had to get it out!

1 comment:

Uwera Alexandra said...

To some extent I do agree with you and I have also listened to the album and felt exactly the same way you do but there are some tracks on it that I thought hmm not so bad Bhee but do not appologise and I mean appologise because that girl is confused, lol by that I mean confused, nonetheless if she releases another album, guess who'll be first in line? Me lol